During the years before graduation, I‘d ask Trace’s friends about their post-high school plans. Not surprisingly, some had chosen a path and others were still waiting for that directional lightning bolt to hit.
I began volunteer teaching at the local High School in 2006, working with the students to analyze their:
- Vocational Interests (what you do when nobody is telling you what to do) and their
- Non-Negotiables (what you will not live with, and what you will not live without). (See ‘Self Awareness’ link at GiveTeens20.org)
- When teens intersect their VI and NNs, a future path becomes clearer. (See Choosing a Direction)
Once a path (or 2 or 3) have been chosen, interview a person working in the career that you are interested in. Ask them:
- What made you choose this career path?
- How did you get here? (Education/Experience)
- What is the best piece of advice you would give to someone who wants your job?
GiveTeens20® is a tool that will help determine directional options for your future AND provide filmed interviews for your research.
Take the time to assess yourself then pick some possible career fields. Click around the Interviews and see what it is going to take to operate within those fields.
Do not let anybody tell you that you won’t be able to do something that you have a desire to do.
You just have to go for it!